Last week we took our first steps on particles and today we have some fancy effects to show you! We worked on new ways to represent toxins, currents and new environmental effects. Eventually every biome will have its own particle effects and lightning, making the game prettier than ever.
More progress on Godot. This time we’ve finally merged the godot branch to master in GitHub, meaning that we are closer to the 0.5.0 release! With this change, new issues have been opened so if you want to contribute to the project and don’t know what to do, this list may help you.
We have new concepts for the Planet generator UI, we are trying to figure out how many features and options it should have. In our current concept it has three options: Randomized, Themed and Preset (or Override, we haven’t decided the name yet), each option being less random and allowing the player to either change the settings to their liking or to stick to a given theme, like earth-like planets.
This time we have another brief update. We’ve worked on some minor features, like fixing crashes or implementing engulfment. But there’s also something big, today’s highlight is the editor, which is now in Godot.
Work on the Godot conversion continues, this time we don’t have any new big features to show you since all the work consisted on porting small things, like shooting agents, the name generator or some UI functionalities.
Another release coming at you, here is Thrive 0.4.3.1! Wait, why isn’t it 0.4.4? Well that’s because after this release we are going to make some huge changes to the project. We are changing the engine once again, and we hope this time is for good.
While this isn’t a regular release, and certainly it isn’t the biggest one we’ve done, it brings a few new features for you to enjoy. Read on to see what’s new and what have we planned for Thrive’s future…
After working on diligent we realized that it would be much harder than expected to make things work, so this week we’ve tried a different approach: changing the engine to Godot. It’s a drastic measure because it would mean rewriting the whole game in a new language but once it’s done players with intel graphics cards should be able to play the game properly. There’s a tech demo available here so please download it and tell us if it runs well for you. Next week there will be a Devblog explaining all these changes.
More concepts for the new UI, since we are using a new aesthetic there are a lot of features (like dropdown menus, timed buttons or checkboxes) that have to be figured out and that’s what Narotiza has been working on during this week. We even have a neat concept animation for the main menu.